Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Miracles

I was reading a blog today and it occurred to me to write about the miracles I asked for from my Lord. Gosh, I remember when Holly told us about Carleigh for the first time. It was close to our family vacation for Christmas. Our trip we had been planning for 3 years to the big island of Hawaii. We all had been looking forward to that trip for so long and it was here and now it felt less exciting with the news we had just heard. But, we were All going as a family, John, myself, Jason, Katrina, Audrey, Anthony, Holly, Kyndra, Hannah, and Carleigh. My loving, happy family all together for Christmas in a place where we LOVE to go.
I had been praying for Carleigh from the minute I heard. My prayers were for God to heal her. I wanted her to be a "normal" baby. What's normal? I thought about it so much on that trip and every time I prayed that way something kept coming back to me that I was wrong for asking. (now, that is just me) So, from that point on I started praying differently. My prayers were the same every time. "Lord, we thank you for Little Carleigh growing inside of Holly and Father I lift her up to you, if you can give us a miracle Lord, we will take anything you give us, but can you please let her be a beautiful color and not purple when she is born, Holly doesn't want her to be purple, can that be our miracle, Lord?" And so, that became my prayer everyday.
I won't lie and tell you I didn't break down and sob when she was born because I did and had to have people hold me up because I wept so hard. I so desperately wanted her to be born alive for my daughter's sake but it wasn't meant to be. But, what I did witness that day of Carleigh's birth was that the Lord kept his promise to me and when I looked at her she was a little purple and Holly explained it was because of her birth. She later turned a beautiful pinkish color and stayed that way. I was on my knees by Holly's bed and thanking God for the miracle he sent me and promised me. I always thought everyone gets miracles from God when am I going to receive one from Him, and you know what, I finally did, on the day of my granddaughters birth. Did I cry uncontrollable tears? Absolutely. I am only human and it is part of the process. Of which I will write later.
But, Thank you Jesus for being so ever faithful to us when we don't deserve it. We should stop and think that we should be just as faithful to you as you are to us. I love you for who you are and what you mean to us.
Back to Hawaii, (sorry, I rambled) we are standing on lanai (patio) and overlooking the pool and the view. The warm breeze and the smell of the flowers hit you with the wind. I am staring at the view of the ocean just looking around and taking it all in and I start to cry. Katrina asks me "What's wrong, mom?" and I tell her "I am just having a moment standing here thinking of Carleigh and realizing we are here in Hawaii and this is the next best thing to paradise this side of Heaven". "From this point on, when I say Paradise 1 I am talking of Heaven and when I say Paradise 2 I am talking about Hawaii". That's what it feels like to me. And in the stillness of that lanai and the warm breezes and the smell of the flowers I felt a little connection with my unborn granddaughter.
We also went to a luau while there and we had decided we were not going to get our pictures taken because we didn't see the need or the expense. But , we were told they would take it but we had the option of buying it or not. So, we took the picture and when they came to our table and showed us the "FAMILY PORTRAIT" it turned out so good that we all had to have one so we bought 3 of them. Now when I look at the Family picture not only do I see all of us but, I look at Holly and know Carleigh is in that picture too even though you can't physically see her. Now the picture means more than ever as does the Family Hawaiian Vacation.

2 comments:

Celia said...

Linda,
I love that! Thank you! I always need the reminder that God is here, he is listening. He hears me & knows what I can & cannot endure,especially better than I do. And everytime I think I can't handle any more I somehow find the strength to endure. That's a god thing, plain and simple. I really just felt so low this morning. My dreams have always been rather terrifying and actually I have seen things for most of my life. So this is nothing new that my dreams would again take a turn for the worse while I am on this journey. Satan so loves to tear us down even further when we are already so low. But I do know that clinging to God and his promises is my only option.

I think your journey & Holly's has been the most impressed upon my heart. YOu have touched many lives as I have shared your stories with so many people and had just about everyone I know praying for you when Carleigh was being born. I also know that they continue to pray. For you, for Holly, for me as well as for really everyone else suffering like this. Amazing stuff!

so thanks so much for sharing...And thanks again for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Linda,
Thank you for sharing your memories. It's the little things that bring God right to the center of our life. I love that about our Lord. He doesn't use fireworks or fanfare but a manger in a little town of humble beginnings. How perfect your vacation in Hawaii, I agree it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. Everywhere you look, you can see God's hand in creation, much like Holly's hospital room. It was where Carleigh began her journey to heaven and it was filled with family and love and tears and hugs. God was smiling down in that room that day and He is still smiling. He holds all of you close. I love you, my friend, Beth