Well, I have been wanting to write about this and now I have the time. Family gathered on Sunday before they were to leave the hospital and we all chatted and visited. When the time came it was John, myself, Bud, Judy, Anthony, Holly, Carleigh and Kyndra. John was with Kyndra most of the time and she was so tired and cranky that she finally fell asleep. Watched as Holly changed Carleigh into another outfit. The outfit Holly put on her (from Chantel) was so tiny but it fit her perfectly and she looked so beautiful in it. After she was dressed, we gave the kids time with Carleigh before we had to leave. We stayed in the hallway as John was helping get the paperwork around to leave. I think there was some confusion as to who was doing what, coming from the nurse's station. But, Holly decided she was the one taking Carleigh to the funeral home and not them picking her up. So, we ended up getting a cart to load the flowers and everything else on to head to the car. Got it all loaded and the nurse had to go down with us, policy she said. So, down we went. Bud taking pictures every step of the way. Judy loaded up Kyndra in her car seat and the guys got the flowers loaded, while Holly and the nurse were inside the hospital. She and Holly chatted, and cried together and then we loaded up to head to the funeral home.
Holly said when we got there that she thought the ride would be longer, it happened to quick. We all went inside to the funeral home where Craig was waiting on them. They sat down on the couch and Holly held her as Anthony looked on and they took their time with her. Caressing and kissing her as much as they could and we (the parents) watched as our children were going through the toughest thing they ever had to do. trying to hold back the tears.
Holly finally got up off the couch, looked at Carleigh, held her face close to hers and kissed her many times with tears flowing from her face and handed her baby girl over to Craig. He looked at Holly and said "We will take good care of her." And with that they walked away to the other room. Judy then walked up to Craig and kissed Carleigh. I walked up to Carleigh and leaned over her and said "Grandma loves you baby girl" and kissed her gently on the cheek. Walked away with lots of tears and Bud and John said their goodbyes too.
I had already went outside because I needed some air and everyone soon followed and I heard John tell Bud "I would rather be shot then go through that." Watching our kids turn their child, our granddaughter, over to the funeral director was so heart wrenching. It took a toll on everyone. We left there and went back to Holly and Anthony's.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment