Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Doctor Visit

I remember going to the doctor with Holly for Kyndra's checkup. She is grandma's sweet thing and I love her so much. But, we are in the waiting room and I am helping Kyndra play on the slide (which she loves) until it is time for them to go back. They finally get called back and I am sitting there just reading the magazine I found.
In those moments of waiting I start to think of Carleigh, and I start to cry. I am fighting a cold so people around me have no idea I am crying, which makes it easier for me. But, as I sat there I watched people come and go, mostly mothers with their babies and there are so many coming through the doors and I wish Carleigh was with us and that was Holly. The more that kept coming the harder it was.
I was happy for them and their healthy babies, just longing I guess for what we didn't have. There are a lot of people who might think it is time for me to get over it and move on, after all I am not the mother, just the grandmother. But, it hurts so much and I don't care what people think, this is MY pain, this is MY grief, this is a grandma's journey, MY journey. And if it takes me awhile to get through it, so be it. Pain and sorrow cannot have a timetable which is determined by people/strangers. It is something that is felt with the whole heart and soul and given time we learn to cope and heal on our own.
I wiped my tears and nose just in time to hear this familiar sound coming from a little voice and I looked up from my magazine and grandma's little girl was looking through the glass of the door at me. So, I put down the magazine and went to the door to get her, with her arms stretched out for me to take her and I held her and kissed her and put her back on the slide.

2 comments:

Molly's Grandma said...

Linda,
I couldn't have said it better! Grief is different for everyone, the process, the time-frame, the way it's expressed. You take your time and heal, however you need. I remember walking into a CVS store about 9 months after Andy died. It was a good day for me until I looked up and saw a bag a jelly beans and in a single second I broke down crying to think I would never make an Easter basket for him again. The tears came with no warning. I learned to accept it. I pray for you and your family everyday. Beth

Betty said...

There is no such thing as being JUST a grandma. I think it is harder for us to watch our kids struggle or hurt than it is for us to actually be the ones through the trial. We spend our lives protecting them and keeping them safe...and then we have to let go and let God take over. It is still hard though.