Monday, April 6, 2009

Cemetery

As we are heading out to the cemetery I am looking out the window in awe and see the beautiful day the Lord is giving us. The sun is shining and it is fairly warm out, most aren't even wearing coats. The drive seems long but it is in the silence that gives us time to think. The we hear the little laughter from behind coming from the car seat Kyndra is sitting in, without a care in the world unaware of the surroundings around her and not realizing what is going to happen.
We approach this quiet, serene place in the country, where the air is fresh and the breeze is light and the sun is warm on our face. Holly notices some horses across the road making their way to the fence and they stand there the whole time of the service. We take our places under the tent on the chairs laid out for us. I sit by Holly and Katrina by me. Judy sits by her son and her mother beside her. We take a hold of our children's hand or arm and we sit there while Pastor Mark says a few words.
A friend of ours told me that less than a second after the service was over at the cemetery the sirens could be heard sounding from nearby Wilmington. He also said it was a sign to him of the singing of angels and blowing of trumpets welcoming Carleigh (our little angel) into HEAVEN. He said he broke down when he heard it because he knew in his heart it was true and a sign from heaven above.
Do you know I heard those same sirens and didn't even think of that? Or was it that my mind was elsewhere? We sat there for a while (which seemed like hours) I don't think anyone knew what to do, they just waited to see what family would do I guess. I sat there crying. And then my sister-in-law Vicky came over to me and grabbed my hands and held on tight. She then hugged me and I sobbed and sobbed and she cried too. After she let go and did the same for
Holly and Anthony she walked away and then more people started coming. Then Holly and Anthony got up and walked away, then Judy and I got up and walked away. We each grabbed a flower from the casket spray to take with us and we climbed back into the limo. Kyndra was sleeping in the limo the whole time, which enabled her parents to have the time they needed.
Then Holly noticed the horses still standing at the fence. And as we were leaving this peaceful place where we left our granddaughter, Holly noticed the horses must have sensed it was over too because at that moment they walked away from the fence and returned to the pasture. It seemed like a longer ride back to the church and much quieter this time. I guess we were all remembering our own special moments of the day.
Your are forever in our hearts , my little darling Carleigh and Grandma and Grandpa will NEVER forget you as long as we have a breath of life on this earth. xoxoxox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I continue to pray for you and you family. As I read what you wrote (and have been writing) I think back to many years ago when you used to write. Do you still? Perhaps God has opened an opportunity for you as you write about Carleigh, it is healing for others to listen to your thoughts. Thank you so much for allowing us to be a small part of your journey. Love, Beth

Betty said...

Your family is always in my prayers. I am so thankful that God allowed you a peaceful day...how that must have been, but he granted you peace...that was my prayer from day one.